Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 30 - Meet the Family...We're not the Fockers, We're COOLER

I haven't blogged much about my extended family, so I guess it's time to fill you in on some of the other people you will "meet" as you read my blog.

I have the most fantastical, absolutely amazing parents in the history of the universe. If you think yours are better, it's just because you didn't have mine! *winks* My mother, Joan, is a domestic goddess who was the absolute best stay at home mom that any child could ever ask for. She is my role model, my idol, the person I strive to be like. She is beautiful and has aged more gracefully than anyone I know. I hope at her age to look like her.

My beautiful, beautiful Mommy. *muah*

She devoted her life to God, her husband and her children, in that order. One of my most prominent memories of life with my mother is coming home from school, opening the door (we never had to use a key to get in) and calling "Mom?!" from the doorway. Door still open. Only one foot inside the back porch. 99% of the time Mom's sweet voice would call back, "Yes Joanie?" and I would come inside. On that odd 1% of the time that she had gone to a neighbour's house or was working in our vegetable patch and lost track of time, I would dump my backpack next to the door and go right back outside to search for her. It wasn't worth being inside without my mom. My mom was my friend as I grew up, but there was a balance there. She was able to still be my friend without letting her role as authority and disciplinarian slip. I hope to achieve that balance with my boys.

Then there's my Daddy, James. I have always been Daddy's girl. He was definitely not the disciplinarian in our family. A common phrase among my siblings and I was "If Mom says no, it means no. If Dad says no, it means maybe." He's a barrel of fun and laughs and still has the best cuddling lap in the world, even if I am 29 years old now. I will forever be Daddy's Angel.

My Daddy with my baby.

All I can say is "best parents ever" and I hope that Johnny and I can raise our children even half as well as they did.

I am the youngest of four children, and I'm the youngest by a lot. There's a 13 year gap between myself and my youngest sister. The oldest is Carolyn.


Carolyn and Silas WAYYYY back.

Carolyn is mom to Russell (almost 23), Tiffany (21) and Melissa (almost 20), and is about to be grandma for the first time to a little boy that we think is going to be named Wyatt. We'll find out tomorrow when he's born!

Second is my brother Jimmy, who I don't have a picture of. Jimmy left home when I was about 4 years old and I've only seen him twice since. He has a son named Kyle, who I also don't have a picture of. Kyle is 17...I think.

My youngest sibling is my sister, Linda. We've been very close for my whole life and are even able to read each other's minds on occasion. She's mom to Adam (21) and Beckie (almost 19).

Linda with Silas in 2007.

So now that you know the cast of characters, the story will make more sense. You'll be hearing a lot more about these folks in the coming weeks, starting tomorrow with the birth of Melissa's baby boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment